Saturday, July 19, 2014

More Grill Inspiration ... Ribs!

If you read my previous post Grill Inspiration you know I not only love grilled foods, but I also had a blast one night at my firehouse learning how to use the grill. I've been wanting to try it again, but also wanted to try making something other than hamburgers and hot dogs. My mom made pork ribs a few weeks ago and I fell in love with them, so I thought why not give it a shot. I picked up a pack of St. Louis style ribs and headed to my parent's house. 

Since I had never cooked ribs before I didn't even know where to start. My mom showed me how to cut the ribs in between the bones to get them into individual pieces and ready for cooking. I placed them in an aluminum pan (love easy cleanup), and with help from my niece Ashley, I brushed the ribs with extra virgin olive oil, then sprinkled some salt and pepper. I was surprised that was all my mom told me to put on them and wondered if it might taste a little bland, but she reassured me this is how she made it last time and they were delicious. 

Pork spare ribs preparation
Look to cut the ribs in-between the bones.
Use your fingers to feel for the bone before cutting


Healthy Fats to Use
My assistant Ashley brushing the oil on the ribs.
You don't need to use too much just enough to cover them

Off to the grill!! My dad surprised my mom for Mother's Day this year with a new grill that has infrared technology. I'm not 100% sure how the infra-red technology works, but it was nice to grill without worrying about the flames shooting up and my eyebrows getting singed. 

Healthy way to cook pork spare ribs
Me using the grill!!
I just randomly placed the ribs across the grill 

My mom started the grill while I was cutting the ribs so by the time I was ready to cook them it was already nice and hot. I scattered them over the bottom rack and closed the lid. I checked about 15 minutes later and turned them so all sides cooked and got that crispy grill taste.  It was about 10-15 min later and they were ready to be taken off and drooled over. 

Spare Ribs on the bbq
I'm drooling looking at the pictures
They came out juicy and delicious and so very filling

I let my dad have the first taste and knew I had done a job well done when he came in the kitchen with his plate looking for more. Score!! 

Where did all the meat go?!?
My dad definitely enjoyed them. 

My only question is, what should I grill next?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment