Friday, July 4, 2014

Freedom Cups!

Happy 4th of July! A day to celebrate freedom and be thankful for it. Time for picnics, parties, fireworks, and fun. For those of us trying to not gain a ton of weight and trying to eat healthy these parties are more about what should I eat, what can I eat, should I be good or just say oh well for a day.  Sort of takes some of the fun out it. I say bring something you and everyone else can enjoy and make it one less decision you have to make; and it will keep you on track with your healthy goals! Let's talk dessert. My family loves dessert, it's what I struggle with at most birthday parties and gatherings. Not this time, this time I had an idea. I want to enjoy with everyone, so I came up with Freedom Cups.

Delicious Dessert Option
Freedom Cups
Be Healthy and Enjoy!!

I found some wine glasses that had blue stems and were the perfect size, but you can easily find cups at your local store. Figuring out what went in them was easy, what is healthy and delicious and red, white, and blue...strawberries, cool whip, and blueberries! Works perfectly with my blueberry obsession.

Ingredients:
Blueberries
Strawberries
Cool Whip
Reddi Whip 
Cherries
Sprinkles

Dessert Helpers
My Helpers
Ashley and Kaitlyn


I enlisted assistance from two of the best and cutest helpers I know...my nieces Ashley and Kaitlyn. My first step was cutting the stems off the strawberries. Then it was time to cut just the right size to fit in the cups. I decided to cut mine in half and then to cut the halves in half. Making the pieces large enough to still enjoy the taste but small enough to fit a bunch in the glass. Once I cute up all the strawberries I did a layer in each glass. You can decide how thick you want each layer. After the strawberries I did a layer of Cool Whip Lite. I recommend using a large spoon to scoop but a small spoon, even a kids spoon, to help layer it in the glass so you don't get too much on the sides of the cup.


Strawberry Design
How I cut up my strawberries and layered the Cool Whip Lite
Feel free to cut yours to how you like it and add as much or as little Cool Whip


 Next up blueberries! I did a layer of blueberries followed by another layer of Cool Whip and then strawberries. I topped it off with some Reddi Whip to get the neat spiral look and decorated with blueberries and strawberries on top.Tada!  Instant delicious dessert that is healthy and everyone can enjoy!


Healthy Fruit Dessert
The different stages of layering fruit, Cool Whip, and Reddi Whip

My nieces had a blast helping me and got even more excited when I told them they could make their own! Ashley modeled hers after mine but added in cherries.  Kaitlyn is not a big fan of blueberries, I happily ate hers, so she used just strawberries, cherries and added some sprinkles for fun!

Nieces Enjoying
Ashley and Kaitlyn busy creating their delicious dessert
Picture to the right is Kaitlyn's Creation


Having Fun in the Kitchen
Ashley couldn't wait to eat her dessert

I hope everyone has a safe and happy 4th of July, spending more time celebrating and having fun and less time worrying about what to eat.

Healthy Dessert
Me and my sister Elyse enjoying our Freedom Cups!

No comments:

Post a Comment