Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Grill Inspiration

Over the last few months I have enjoyed cooking, more than I ever thought I would. I've learned about how to cook a variety of meats and fish, how to cut different veggies, and learned that I do in fact like my food with different spices and flavors. I know I have a lot more to learn and thanks to my mom, Food Network channel, google and my coworkers I know my skills will continue to improve and I will keep learning. But there has always been one method of cooking that intimidated me, 1 method that I feared, 1 method I said I will not be learning....the outdoor grill.

Growing up when it was time to grill that was and still is my mom's baby. For Mother's Day this year my dad surprised my mom with a new grill. My mom is an amazing grill master and when she isn't grilling my brother in law is. Between the two of them I am usually set for summer BBQ food. There was no reason for me to learn, not to mention I live on the second floor of my condo unit and we don't have grills. And then last night happened....

I was at my firehouse helping out during a special drill, I think they said there were about 40 firefighters in attendance. A bunch of us associate members were going to cook and have food ready for them during the break time. We decided to use leftover buns and light up the grill. My friend Doug was helping us out since he didn't need the course and while I was helping him bring out the burgers I was suddenly curious and inspired...I wanted to learn how to cook on the grill! I asked him to teach me and he handed me the spatula and said absolutely! 


Grilling Fun
Here I am grilling away!

I never knew grilling could be so much fun and also how strategic it can be. Moving burgers and hot dogs around so everything cooked evenly and not burnt. Turning up the flame and then turning down the flame. I confess 2 burgers did not survive my first round, pretty sure they could be compared to hockey pucks, but our captain's dog loved them. As the guys piled out and started eating it was nice to hear them enjoying and yes they teased me I might need a fire truck to put out the flames. It was the most fun I've had cooking!! I did even try one of my own burgers (minus the bun) and I must say it was pretty darn good! I hope we do that again soon and I'm hoping my mom will let me try it out on her grill with her teaching me some tips. 

I love having fun learning about food and new techniques and I love conquering fears....one burger at a time!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment