Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Meal Prepping for Me!

I used to think meal prepping was only for hardcore workout people. Silly I know, but true. I pictured chicken breast and veggies day in and day out. Then I started noticing more people posting pictures of their meal prep on Instagram and realized how very wrong I was and it got me thinking about my weeks. Sure I eat healthy and cook majority of my meals but I felt like I was constantly unorganized and running to the grocery store; and then there were other weeks when I would cook too much and end up having to throw away food or freeze it if I could.  

So I decided to give meal prepping a try. I wrote down the meals I wanted to eat for the week. Went food shopping. Spent the next day cooking and sorting the foods. I learned a very valuable lesson that first week...make sure to switch up the dishes. Pork shoulder was on sale so I got myself a giant one and based dinner and lunch around it. BIG mistake!! I was so over pork by the end of week I ran to Shoprite and picked up a rotisserie chicken to avoid eating my meal prep. The good news is I learn quickly. After that week I had a better understanding of what I needed and how much I would need for the week.

Meal planning pulled pork
It was delicious,
but there is just so much pulled pork you can eat in one week

I tend to food shop Friday after work or Saturday mornings, or if I am really tight on time I order my groceries to be delivered. Sunday for the most part is my cooking day. I actually really enjoy it. It's what I call cooking therapy.

Home delivery from grocery store
Some weeks there are not enough hours in the day, spent not at work.
Peapod delivery to the rescue. 

I absolutely love knowing that at least the food portion of my week is taken care of, one less thing I have to worry about. The weeks are busy enough, if there is a way to make it even just a little less stressful you can bet I will figure out a way! Also, a huge added bonus is how much MONEY I am saving. I am buying what I need. I try and plan my meals around what proteins are on sale so that helps, and way less food gets thrown away at the end of the week due to spoilage.

I highly recommend giving meal prepping a try!  Save on time, money, stress, and even just having less extra food in the house to munch on has helped.

Here are some of the meals I have made...

Where to buy healthy easy food
Trader Joe's Chili Lime Burger, caulirice and broccoli

Same as above just separated

Easy salmon meals
One of my favorites...
baked salmon and asparagus with caulirice

All done. Meals for lunch, dinner, and 2 snacks.
Not pictures is my breakfast shake and apple

I just put everything in my cooler bag before work and off I go.
So easy!!

Mini paleo meatloaf (recipe to come), sweet potato, and mixed veggies

Crockpot chicken thighs with string beans

No comments:

Post a Comment