Saturday, June 28, 2014

Change of Scenery

Weekdays for me are pretty routine. Get up and get ready for work. Go to work. Go to gym. Then usually home with the occasionally meeting or drill at the firehouse on Tuesday. Weekends are my random. Anything is possible on the weekend. But my favorite random is when I get up a little earlier and go for a walk outside. Fresh air, sunshine, room to breathe and enjoy the air, squirrels and birds.

The last few weeks have been crazy, nonstop. Some fun stuff and some not so fun stuff, but either way I was starting to noticed all the noise in my head. What noise am I talking about you ask? The noise of always thinking, thinking, thinking, planning, wondering...okay you get the point. By last night I was torn between going to bed and pulling the covers over my head and sleeping late since it was going to be Saturday or wanting to change up my day. Maybe changing things was just what I needed to clear the noise. But how was I going to do it? I mentioned it to my dad who suggested I try a park path he likes to ride his bike on. My dad rides anywhere between 20-30 miles a day on his bicycle, and has found so many neat areas, paths, and adventures. I loved the idea, but had never been there before; usually I just walk around my town in a big circle. I googled the park and found a map of the are, and thought to myself "I need to go there". My dad knew I was a little nervous since I didn't know the area; he offered to go with me and skip his bike ride for a day. I felt bad he was going to miss his daily ride, but he assured me it was good for him to switch up his routine too and he wanted to go. Outside, I played it cool, inside I was more excited than a kid on their birthday!

Adventure Trails
Pic from one of my dad's rides. 
We love to see where he goes!


Saturday morning I woke up even before my alarm, my dad came and picked me up and off we went!! We started walking and I can't even explain the sense of freedom that came over me. Everything bothering me, the noise included was gone. It was just my dad and me walking along a beautiful trail, the sun shining, the birds chirping, he and I catching up. He showed me where he likes to go on his bicycle rides and gave me some tips about the area. We also talked about his new iphone app called Cyclemeter. The app tracks his location on rides and even does his calories, speed, distance, all of that neat stuff. In addition, the app sends out an email or text every 30 min to let my mom, my sister, and me know where he is. This way we can't lose him. I checked it out when I got home and the app also syncs with my calorie counting app/program called myfitnesspal. Since I'm looking to explore more I thought this would be a great app to use. I downloaded it and will be using it on my next walk around town or out on a new adventure. 

Lake Views in the Park
Park views and 9/11 Memorial in the park

We finished up and I am already thinking about when I get back there again. It's amazing how a change of sceanery and good company can totally help you regroup, refocus, and feel relief from the daily grind and noise. I told my dad how much I enjoyed the walk, but I don't think he really knows how much he helped me today and how just by him offering to go with me made my day! 


Water View from the trail
Views from along the path. I told the deer to smile, but he didn't listen


No comments:

Post a Comment