Sunday, January 11, 2015

Gym Training For the Body and Mind

Last week I decided to add in a third weight lifting training day. Time to really push myself. Trainer Mark has been encouraging me to add in the extra weight days.. Well it's time. Last week after my second day of training with Mark I asked him what muscle group I should do on my own the next day. After complete shock from him he gave me the plan and a high five for pushing myself.


Do this routine before every shower: 50 jumping jacks, 5 pushups, 20 crunches, 20 mountain climbers, and 30 second plank.
I never understood when people said this, until now.
Best feeling when I complete a workout, dripping with sweat,
Amazed at what I just accomplished!

I left work the next day, heading to the gym, and was determined to complete the routine. I got my workout folder, starting looking at it, went blank in the brain, closed the folder, returned it to the cabinet and did cardio. FAIL! High five not earned. I felt defeated. I got home from the gym wondering what happened? Why did I basically turn and run? It's not because I am intimidated, because truth is, we are all their working on ourselves. So if that wasn't it, what is it? Then it hit me, I am not confident in completing the workouts and knowing how to complete them properly. Well that's a problem, since the whole reason I got a trainer was to learn. This means he is showing me, I am repeating, but not retaining...Not good!!



everyone has to start somewhere - motivation via Linda Wagner's blog
You have to start somewhere and grow


Frustrated. That's how I felt. I'm a smart girl, I work hard, I learn, so why should the gym be any different? It got me thinking about school. Kids and adults learn differently, some need to hear something, some need to see something, some need to do it only once and they remember. Me? I need to write it. I was like in school and I am the same way at work. If I need to remember something I will write it down on a post-in note. I may never see that post-in note again, but I will remember what it said, because I wrote it. Aha!  That's my learning style. 

My workout journal
Yes, leaopard print. Have to have some fun!

Time to incorporate that into my fitness. I found a small notebook and brought it with me to my next training session. I explained my plan to work, who seemed a little confused at first but never complained and was very patient. As I did a workout he helped me write it down including small details for me to remember like my hand placement, the amount of reps and weights, even my stance. 

30 yrs of being overweight. It's gonna take some time to get in the best shape possible, to change bad eating habits. Get off your back.
Be kind to yourself.
You are learning, at least you are trying!

The next morning after I got ready for work I took a second and went through the routine without weights. I wanted to see if my plan of writing helped it click in my memory and here's the best part, it did!!  I was able to repeat the entire routine without looking at my notes, proper hand placement and all. I believe when you can do something without evening thinking about it, it's called muscle memory and I believe I have found a way to connect my brain and muscles!! I can't wait to try it on more routines this week. 


2 comments:

  1. Fantastic! You ought to talk to Marion...she is a real gym affectionado and would probably have some great tips about weights for you. :)

    http://affectionforfitness.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gwen. I am going to check out her blog this morning. I love checking out new pages!

    ReplyDelete