Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Wake Up and Workout

A few months back I mentioned that I joined a gym and I love going. I never thought I would say I love the gym, but I do. I loved learning how to use the different pieces of equipment, the atmosphere, and the mental escape for the time I am in there. But then summer happened, and along with summer came more daylight, beautiful warm weather, and after work outdoor fun! I think I made it to the gym after work about once all summer. Sure I was usually swimming in the pool with my family or going to backyard BBQs, but I missed my workouts.

summer activities for the family
The girls enjoying ice cream from the ice cream truck
Dad and me lounging in the pool...
(moments before this picture I tried to jump on the raft and lost my bathing suit bottom,
not sure who turned redder me or the life guard!)

One morning I woke up early, I had too much on my mind. It was 5:30 a.m., not enough time before the alarm clock going off to even try and go back to sleep, so instead I got up and decided to go for a jog on my treadmill. After about a minute I felt wide awake. By 5 minutes my mind, which had been running in circles with too much to think about, was now open and clear. After that I didn't check the time, it was full speed ahead and felt amazing!! 

Working out on the treadmill
Yup, I took an early morning workout selfie

I enjoyed that workout so much I now set my alarm clock to get up at 5:30 every morning. My morning and days no longer feel as awake and complete without that workout. I also get to watch the sunrise, hear the birds chirp (when I turn the headphones off), and enjoy the quiet that comes with mornings. I also love knowing that no matter how the rest of the day unfolds and no matter how busy I get I at least got my minimum 2 mile jog done for the day.

workout in the morning sunrise
My morning treadmill view
L: When I first hop on the treadmill
M: During my jog..don't worry I slowed down to take this picture
R: When I am finished and ready to start the day

I still love the gym and get there whenever I can, in fact, I am going to try some Zumba and yoga classes this month with a friend. I can't always control the evening, but now I know the morning is all mine and totally worth getting up early. If you can get up and get moving I highly recommend, and the best part is, once you do it a few times I bet you will be hooked! 

No comments:

Post a Comment