Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Protein Snack Attack

There are some people that can do just fine only eating 3 meals a day, I am not one of those people. I tend to have three small to medium size meals and 2 snacks, sometimes 3 depending on the day. A few years ago my snacks would have consisted of granola bars, crackers, half a bagel, 100 calories pack of cookies or something similar. Not any more. Now I want my snacks to be healthy and help fuel me throughout the day. As I started cutting back on carbs and sugar and that processed stuff, I found it harder and harder to find good quality snacks. I mentioned this problem to my mom the other day when I was at my parent's house. We sat there for a moment trying to come up with good ideas, and then she got the aha face, walked out of the room and came back with a can of chicken, I thought yeah right this is going to taste good. She told me it has become one of my dad's new favorite snacks and really fills him up. My poor dad, every time us kids are over their house my mom is giving away his food for us to try. Love you dad!

I went home and tried a little, I was pleasantly surprised, it was really good, but I wondered what could I do to this can of chicken to make it even more filling and delicious? Then I has my own aha moment! I had recently tried this really delicious blue cheese dressing and thought why not mix it.

Chicken, blue cheese, fat and protein
Canned chicken, I got the kind that has white and dark meat,
but they have just white meat if that is your preference.
This dressing is really good and the lesser of the dressing evils.
I am open to dressing suggestions if anyone wants to suggest some

For a 2 oz serving of the chicken you get 50 calories, 1.5 grams of fat, 0 carbs, 0 sugar, 9 grams of protein. When I first measured it out, it didn't really seem like much, but then you add in the dressing....

low carb chicken snack
2 ounces of chicken

The blue cheese dressing really adds a whole other flavor to this dish, I am sure any dressing you like will work just as well. 1 serving size of the dressing is 2 tbsp you get 130 calories, 14 grams of fat, 1 gram carb, 1 gran sugar, and 1 gram protein. I usually only use 1 tbsp which is plenty. This little snack is packed with fuel and so filling and delicious!

High protein fat snack idea
Add 1 tablespoon of dressing to 2 ounces of chicken
Yep that cute black and white mug is my giant cup of coffee, waiting for me to enjoy



Quick, easy, low carb, low calorie, and very easy to take with you to work.
It doesn't have any weird fishy smell like tuna so you can eat it at your desk without it bothering coworkers

Look familiar, the chicken was part of my breakfast I talked about in
Mission Accomplished...For the Week


This snack has definitely become one of my favorites. I usually eat it in the afternoon, it gives me energy for my workouts and holds me over so I don't get the grumbly stomach feeling halfway through my routine, but it really is delicious any time of the day.  Hope you enjoy!!

6 comments:

  1. didn't even know you could buy canned chicken! Glad it worked for you! Me, I've been gradually going to almost no chicken....I just find its only flavor is what you prepare it with, so why bother? I'm a beef girl through and through. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gwen! I am usually a beef girl myself. What snacks do you like? Always looking for new ideas especially before my workouts.

      Delete
    2. a small handful of cashews or almonds (I've measured them so much, I know the difference between a half ounce and an ounce), or an ounce of mild cheddar cheese, or a few pork rinds....my usual snack. But frankly, not eating grains or sugar, I don't 'crave' snacks much at all any more. I try and keep one serving of fruit at work for that afternoon potential 'sugar' craving. Like 1 banana, or a small amount of red grapes or cherries, etc. :)

      Delete
  2. I always forget about pork rinds! Good ideas, I like to snack before I workout these suggestions help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im sooo with you!! I have to eat frequent and oftenn or I get ravenously hungry!!!
    Thanks for the ideas for protein meals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha glad I am not alone on this! Let me know if you try it and what you think. I will definitely keep updating on any more yummy and filling finds I come up with.

      Delete