Sunday, August 24, 2014

Light a Fire Under Yourself and Workout!

This past week I got to do a live fire training drill at our fire county academy with my department. Again, I am not a firefighter. I do not go inside. What I do is help out the department behind the scenes, offering support. In addition I do photography. A lot of people ask me why I take the photos? My answer, I am not like reporters trying to take pictures of just the bad/scary stuff, I take pictures of the men and women who risk their lives to save people, homes, and memories. Those men and women should be proud of themselves and I want to give them a glimpse to see what the rest of us see and how truly amazing they are. A few years ago after a particularly large fire, I gave a photo to firemen from another company. He had been a firefighter for most of his life and he was an older gentleman. When I saw him next he brought me over to his gear rack to show me he framed and displayed the picture above it. He hugged and thanked me for that memory. It was a really amazing feeling. I have also been able to work with police departments,who have used my photos in their files when working on cases related to the accident or fire. Families have contacted me for photos to give to their insurance company to help them out. I have been very fortunate to work with some of the amazing men and women.

Dwelling Structure Fire
Spring 2014, house fire.
Everyone got out safe. 

teamwork is important with fire departments
Crews working hard to put it out the fire.
It's all about TEAMWORK!

When we are at the academy I wear firefighter turnout gear as added protection. Last year was my first year with my new fire company and I had to get a set from them. Since I don't go in and I don't need the same level as protection; I typically get the stuff that the active firemen can't wear anymore due to rips, tears, overuse. Which means....you get what is available and hope it fits. Somehow they managed to get me a full set. The pants were a little snug, the jacket was large, but the boots were just right. I got to go to the drill with them. As I walked around snapping my pictures I felt like I was dragging my body in all the gear. I didn't want to climb the trucks for higher up shots. I know I missed out on some amazing photos because I couldn't move quick enough. Good thing I wasn't inside fighting the fire! I was so sore and tired the next day.

Turnout gear for firefighters
Being fitted for turnout gear with my new company
One year later....

This past week when I had to put on my gear I noticed the pants were super loose, I needed the suspenders to hold them up! The jacket was ginormous making me feel like I was playing dress up in my dad's gear. Even the boots were looser. I was so excited!! I was all over that drill grabbing pictures and moments to share with the company. I wasn't dragging myself or tired after at all. I know this is all due to my hard work over the last year. Eating better, working out, taking care of myself. It was the most wonderful and proud feeling. It may have also opened up the door for a new opportunity to work with an incredible, well respected man in the fire community. I will talk about that more if it pans out, but let's just say I hope it does and I am in the gym stepping up my workout routine so I can keep up, grab the photos, and it doesn't hurt to look good while doing it!

Interior fire training
Live training this past week.
Crews inside working

fire department teams working together
Live training this past week
Training teams working together and learn new techniques

No comments:

Post a Comment