Thursday, July 30, 2015

Color Your Mind to Relax

When I was really sick I needed something to occupy my time and most importantly my mind so I wouldn't dwell on the pain in my mouth. I was out picking up a prescription and saw a bunch of color books, so I decided to pick up a Mickey coloring (not many other options) book and some crayons. I remember when I was a kid and didn't feel well I would color. So why not give it a shot as an adult. It actually worked. My mind wasn't totally focused on the pain and I was able to somewhat relax and let my body start healing.

Creative ideas to heal
Thank you Mickey and Minnie for helping me relax

Soon after I saw an article on the news about adult color books being the latest rage. It was like they heard me talking to my mom saying I wish they made books for grownups. On a hunch last weekend I decided to stop in at a craft store called A.C. Moore to see if they had them. I was in luck, they did. They didn't have the super fancy ones I saw online or on the news, but they still had some fun ones and they were only $5.99 so I figured let's see if I like it before going for the big books. I treated myself to a pack of 72 pencils as well.

grown up coloring books
My new coloring books and pencils.
Chelsea really loves the pencils
I'm so glad I picked up the books and pencils last weekend, because this week, while I try to remain positive and upbeat, was a struggle. I was feeling like a lump and bummed out about everything. I was worrying about the future. I was worrying about my business trip next week. And the worry seemed to go on and on...then I remembered about my new coloring books. I started coloring and let me tell you, I loved it. My mind quieted enough that I could calm myself and relax. I was able to come up with new fun ideas to cook when I am much better. I slept better than I had in days. I was able to work through or at least quiet some of the emotions and thoughts running through my mind. It's amazing what a little creativity and mindless fun can do for the mind and soul.

coloring books for adults
My current coloring project
Makes me smile
I highly recommend trying these coloring books if you are looking to relax and have some fun too!

4 comments:

  1. I love coloring and drawing! It really helps me to relax. Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so fun, makes me feel like a kid again too.

      Delete
  2. I did those about a dozen years ago, and it was fun! Not sure why I stopped.... ;) Glad they helped relax/calm you. Clever girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you start again and find any good books let me know, you always find the neatest stuff

      Delete