Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Cauliflower Mash

Let me warn you before you read any further, this dish is addictive. You will want it all the time! Don't say I didn't warn you.

I started seeing more and more recipes for cauliflower mash aka caulimash online and would think about making them, but never did. It was actually my mom's idea to try and make it when I was sick and couldn't chew. I was looking for mushy foods that wouldn't irritate my body, you don't get any more plain than cauliflower. The first time I tried it, I knew my mom was a genius. It allowed me to eat without pain, it was delicious, and filling.

Now it's my turn to share with you. My version is very simple. You can find a ton of recipes online that will add in cheeses and spices and different techniques. Maybe someday I will try those too, but for now I am happy with my way.

Ingredients:

Cauliflower (frozen or fresh)
Garlic
Salt (I prefer sea salt)
Butter

I started making it with frozen cauliflower, but when my boyfriend made it for me using fresh cauliflower I loved the freshness and started cutting up my own. I really wasn't sure how to cut a cauliflower so I googled and got some pointers. Removing the stem is the big thing. It's actually not that hard. After you clean the head, flip it over and cut the branches like someone would cut a tree branch to separate from the trunk.

chopping vegetables
This is how I cut up my cauliflower. If you have a better technique feel free to let me know.
I made this up as I went
Once the stem was removed find all the little florets was easy, a bunch of them just fell off and the others was just quick cut at a branch or two.

Chopping vegetables
See how once you remove the stem you can see all the different florest

I fill a pot with the cauliflower and then filled the pot with just enough water to cover the cauliflower add a little salt and then cover the pot.

Preparing mashed cauliflower
I cut mine up into smaller pieces to make it cook a little quicker.
I then turn the heat up high and wait for it boil. When it gets really going I turn the heat down a little so the water doesn't go all over the place. Then just let it cook away.

As the cauliflower is cooking, I start chopping up fresh garlic to throw in. I love garlic so I will usually chop up a few cloves, go by what you like.

Fresh garlic in caulimash
I love garlic!  Mmm the smell and taste, yum
Once the cauliflower is soft I dump it into a strainer to remove the water.

Strain out all the water.
BE CAREFUL it will be steamy and HOT!

I then dumped the cauliflower back into the original pot, because it will still be warm and makes it easier to mash the cauliflower. I scatter the garlic and a couple tablespoons of butter.


Mmm the start of something delicious. See how the butter is melting already


Using real healthy ingredients
Another find, compliments of the man, he loves this type of butter and I have to agree.
It's delicious

Now the fun part.  Take your masher and just start mashing!!  Some people use a food processor, but I don't want to add to the cleaning pile, and let's face it, it feels good to get a little aggression out sometimes...use it to mash!

Low carb side dish
MASH MASH MASH!!

Doesn't it look like mashed potatoes?
And that's it. Now serve and enjoy.  Even when I am all better I plan on keeping this on my menu. It's healthy, low carb, easy to make, and delicious. If you try it, I hope you love it as much as I do. Now I have to go make a batch because I am drooling at my pictures.

ENJOY!




4 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of warm/hot cauliflower. Prefer it only raw. But I MIGHT try this... LOL Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way at first, but wow it's good. Let me know if you feel brave and try it

      Delete
  2. NOM! My favorite :) I love using coconut butter in this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh coconut butter! I might have to find that and try. I love anything coconut

      Delete