Sunday, October 5, 2014

Excellent Egg Muffins

As you know, I love eggs! They can be cooked so many different ways, combined with different foods, and so filling. 

I started back at my gym this week, which feels painful and wonderful at the same time, and I wanted to try switching up my pre-workout snacks. I was looking for something full of good protein and fat, not too high in calories, and of course low carb. One of the trainers I was talking to suggested making egg muffins. Egg muffins!  Why didn't I think of that. They are so easy to make and I can stick a couple in a zipblock bag to take with me. Off I went food shopping...

Ingredients: 
(Makes 12 muffins)

10 eggs
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
6-7 Broccoli florets
Salt
Pepper
Cooking Spray


Egg recipe for snacks
Egg muffin ingredients; eggs, broccoli, cheese...sounds easy, because it is!


** You can use whatever cheese you like, and also add in any type of vegetable. I think next time I am going to try it with bacon added in. YUM! **

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray the muffin tin with the cooking spray. 

Crack all 10 eggs in bowl. I like to crack the eggs first just in case some shells sneak past me I can get them out easier. 

learning to crack eggs
Cracking the eggs and trying to not get any shells slip past me

Mix the eggs up and then it's time to add the 1 cup of cheese (add more or less to your tasting).


low carb food suggestion with cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese added to the mixture
Since I am not the most professional or technical I just took a couple of broccoli florets and broke them apart with my fingers, it was quick and easy. Then just add your salt and pepper to taste.

include vegetables with all meals
Broccoli adds another level of nutrition and deliciousness

I used a 1/4 cup measuring spoon to make sure each muffin tin received the same amount of the mixture, it also helped me when figuring out the nutritional properties to enter into myfitnesspal. 

By using the measuring cup I knew exactly how much mixture
was going in each tin

How to bake eggs
Ready for the oven!
I set my timer for 15 minutes and was very excited to see how they turned out. Light and fluffy and delicious!!


low carb high protein snack idea
Low calories, low carb, highly delicious egg muffins!

I love how easy they are to store!

breakfast and snack idea for on the go
These are an easy to store and quick to grab and go snack idea

I will definitely be making these again, just as soon I finish this first batch! 


4 comments:

  1. love those, except I use mild cheddar, and either ground meat or chorizo, and include chopped green onions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh that sounds like some yummy additions I will have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this contribution. I love it! I can't believe I never even thought of this. I'm going to do this for my family. I think I'll do the mild cheddar and bacon too. I really was inspyred by this blog post to try something new and new-tritional versus traditional nutritional.

    Miz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so glad you liked and are going to try them out. Let me know how your's come out and what you decided to put in them. I am always looking for new ideas!

      Delete